What is an Electronic Press Kit and why do you need one? Can’t you just give interested parties your insta handle and move on?
Unfortunately, no – when it comes to fufilling a career dream, like being a professional Artist in the Music Industry, you have to give some effort to put your best foot forward.
An electronic press kit should always contain the musician’s biography and details about releases. It can also include press photos, videos, upcoming tour dates, backline requirements, and other marketing information. All the content on EPKs is downloadable media meant to provide the reader or recipient with all information the necessary to include in a program, review, or article. Here are some things you should think about including:
- Biography and Discography: Also called a “backgrounder,” the bio grabs a reader’s attention and communicates the musician’s style or genre. Unlike a traditional resume designed to attract an employer, the bio is a narrative peek into a band’s artistry and gives readers a taste of the group’s influences and sound. A separate discography section features a list of available recordings.
- Samples of Your Music: EPKs naturally include samples of music. Sometimes they showcase a variety of reels with snippets or complete tracks to appeal to different audiences including fans, clients, promoters, and presenters.
- Your Performance Calendar: Building an audience is critical to every artist, and a list of gigs and performances is a critical component of every press kit. The calendar should be revised and updated often.
- Photos of You and Your Band: Pictures also help to tell a musician’s story in addition to the music. EPK photos may include headshots, band and promotional shots, CD cover art, and liner graphics.
- Videos of Your Best Performances: Promotional videos give fans and prospective fans the opportunity to watch a live performance. They also provide reporters and other media outlets with shareable material to post.
- Your Press Coverage: An EPK also shows off press coverage including reviews and interviews along with endorsements from radio and television outlets.
- Your Contact Information: A band dropped out of the Grammy’s and Clive Davis is calling to ask you to perform tomorrow. Contact information that’s front and center is an EPK essential. Clive only calls once!
For more information, Click Here!